Instagram ads are getting popular for running ads because of its large user base, high engagement rates, and visually-driven content. Advertisers can reach a targeted audience through various ad formats, such as photo and video ads, stories ads, and reels ads, and can measure the success of their campaigns through metrics such as impressions, reach, and conversions. Additionally, Instagram’s parent company, Facebook, provides advertisers with robust targeting options and advertising tools to make the most out of their campaigns.
Why run ads on Instagram?
There are several reasons to run ads on Instagram:
- Reach a large audience: Instagram has over 1 billion active monthly users, making it a platform with a massive audience. Running ads on Instagram can help businesses to reach a wider audience and expand their reach.
- High engagement rates: Instagram users are highly engaged, with a high average engagement rate compared to other social media platforms. This makes Instagram a great platform to run ads and connect with potential customers.
- Demographic targeting: Instagram provides businesses with the ability to target specific demographics, such as age, location, interests, and behaviours. This allows businesses to reach their target audience more effectively and drive results.
- Appeal to the eye: Instagram is a visually-focused platform, making it perfect for businesses to showcase their goods and services in an eye-catching manner.
- Cost-effective advertising: Instagram offers cost-effective advertising options, making it a great platform for businesses of all sizes to reach their target audience without breaking the bank.
- Ability to drive sales: Instagram ads can be used to drive sales and conversions, making it a valuable platform for e-commerce businesses and other businesses looking to generate revenue.
In summary, running ads on Instagram is a great way to reach a large audience, engage with potential customers, target specific demographics, showcase products and services in a visually appealing way, drive sales, and achieve business goals.
How to run ads on Instagram?
So basically, there are two ways you can run ads on Instagram, the first way is through Instagram itself and the other is through Facebook. In both the cases, you will get a chance to choose and create your audience. The difference will be placement & budget and targeting a precise audience. Facebook ads give you more features to execute your ads whereas on Instagram you will have limited options only.
Let us first know the steps to run ads on Instagram through its boost feature:-
Note: You can only use your posted images or reels to run as ads.
Step 1: Choose a post/reel to boost. (Note: Only reels with original sound can be run as ads, if you have taken sound from Instagram, then it will not allow you to run that post as an ad).
Step 2: Click on the Boost post option.
Step 3: Select your goal, and choose your purpose for running this ad.
Step 4: Select your target audience. In this, you can allow Instagram to automatically target those people who are ‘look-a-like’ as your audience by selecting the automatic option or else you can create your own audience manually.
(In case you have chosen the ‘Create audience’ option)
Step 5: Name the audience, and choose the targeted location for where you want to run your ad. Go to interests and enter the name of the targeted interest which you want your audience to have. After creating the audience, select it.
Step 6: Select the budget and the duration for how long you want to run this ad. The minimum budget for a single day should be at least 166 rupees.
Step 7: Preview the ad and check if everything is set according to your goal.
Step 8: Go to the payment method and choose a payment method and pay for the ad. The cost summary will be shown to you on the same page.
Step 9: Click on ‘Boost post’ to run the ads. After running the ad you can monitor the ad on Instagram itself.
The second way of running ads on Instagram is through Facebook. Go through the steps given below to understand how you can run ads through it.
- Set up a business account on Instagram: To run ads on Instagram, you’ll need to have a business account. If you don’t have one, you can convert your personal account to a business account in just a few steps.
- Create a Facebook Page: Instagram ads are managed through Facebook Ads Manager, so you’ll need to have a Facebook Page to run ads on Instagram.
- Choose your ad objective: Decide what you want to achieve with your Instagram ad, such as increasing brand awareness, driving traffic to your website, or promoting a product.
- Define your target audience: Identity who you want to reach with your Instagram ad. You can target based on factors such as age, location, interests, and behaviours.
- Set your budget and bid: Decide how much you want to spend on your Instagram ad and set your budget and bid. You can choose between a daily budget or a lifetime budget, and you can set your bid for cost-per-click (CPC) or cost-per-impression.
- Choose your ad format: Select the ad format that best fits your objective, such as photo ads, video ads, carousel ads, or story ads.
- Create your ad: Use Facebook Ads Manager to create your ad and upload your media. You can also write your ad copy and choose your call to action.
- Launch your ad: Once your ad is created, preview it and launch it on Instagram. You can monitor the performance of your ad in Facebook Ads Manager.
After launching your ad, keep on analysing its results, if you think the ad you have created is not working for you then try to change either the post or the targeted audience for more visible results. Once you think you have got it right, save the audience for future reference and use.
To analyse the results of an Instagram ad, you can use the following steps:
- Track engagement metrics: Look at the likes, comments, shares, and overall engagement on your ad to see how well it is performing.
- Monitor reach: Check the reach of your ad, which is the number of unique users who have seen your ad.
- Track impressions: Impressions are the number of times your ad has been displayed. This metric can help you determine if your ad is being seen by your target audience.
- Analyse click-through rates (CTR): CTR is the ratio of clicks to impressions, and it can give you insight into how well your ad is resonating with its intended audience.
- Evaluate Conversion Rates: Conversion rates track the number of users who take a desired action, such as making a purchase or signing up for a newsletter.
- Monitor Ad Spend: Keep an eye on how much you are spending on your ad and compare it to the results you are getting to determine if your investment is paying off.
- Use A/B Testing: Try experimenting with different ad variations to see which performs best.
You can access these metrics through the Facebook Ads Manager, where you manage your Instagram ads.
In conclusion, running ads on Instagram can be a highly effective way to reach a large and engaged audience, whether you’re looking to promote a product or service, build brand awareness, or increase your following. By following the steps outlined in this blog, you can create Instagram ads that are visually appealing, targeted to the right audience, and optimised for your business goals. Remember to continually monitor and adjust your ads based on their performance, as well as stay up-to-date with the latest trends and best practices in Instagram advertising. With a well-crafted strategy and consistent effort, running ads on Instagram can help you achieve your marketing objectives and grow your business in a meaningful way.